The Eastory Blog

Welcome to the Eastory Blog!

We want to share with you all that is happening here in Israel, from art to the weather, and the feeling in the streets.

We hope you'll enjoy.

The Eastory Team.

28.9.10

musical scenesters: Israeli ladyyy bands HaBanot Nechama + Karolina (my love)

Habanot Nechama, a charming folk trio of Israeli female singers, were formed in 2004. Yael, Karolina and Dana met in a local Tel Aviv designer's boutique and started up this musical trio soon after. They exploded onto the scene with their self-titled debut album in 2007. With lovely layered melodies and poetic lyrics, their musical appeal was broad enough to sell to indie hipsters and coffee shops alike.




This album has a reggae-soul- folk vibe that you don't often find from Israeli performers. Their track So Far was one of my favorites on their debut album as well as being hit with the coffee shop crowd- the English lyrics are not the strongest (I generally frown on any song that mentions rainbows) but the Hebrew lyrics are satisfyingly romantic and soulful.


While I have only good things to say about their debut album, I must admit I always had a soft spot for Karolina. I mean really- that afro should make it all clear. I truly feel that singers with afros are to be trusted intrinsically. Learning that she performed with (goddess, queen etc) Lauryn Hill on her recent tour has only deepened my love.









Karolina recently had a concert in Tel Aviv at the venue Barbie, which I tragically missed. The silver lining to this dark musical cloud is that a friend bought her Cd, which is now the soundtrack to my city bike rides (also: new bike! its mint green with a puppy-safe basket, and now I am unstoppable). So here is some Karolina for you and remember- always trust the afro.

No comments:

Post a Comment